meiyunnchung

Friday, January 27, 2006

Special dish to eat at New Year's Eve in my mother's hometowm


There are ten kinds of vegetables in that dish. Every year, my mother will prepare this for New Year's Eve dinner. Same as I said before, families shall come back and eat together for New Year's Eve dinner. This is our Chinese tradition.

Why 10 kinds of vegetables? Because 10 this number is good in Chinese. We have nice idioms from 1~10. (of course, there are nice idioms in other numbers) There are special meaning of what we eat in New Year's eve dinner. 10 means enough, means you will have everything enough & good. Each family will have a dish of fish in the New Year's Eve dinner. You can cook that fish in different way, as you like. Why fish? cause the pronuciation of fish is same as you will have money left in Chinese. That means you will have money left and you can save it.

Do you think that there is too less food in that dish for whole family to eat? Of course, that's for me, only. I will fly to Korea tomorrow. Maybe I will eat that big dinner with my families or not. Depends on the time they will have dinner. If I need to catch my flight, can I eat with them? Of course, no. So, I eat today. How can I do not eat my mother's food? NO way. I won't let those nice food to be eaten by my elder sister only. ha ha ha~~~

3 Comments:

  • At 7:36 PM, Blogger On_Peace_Mission said…

    This sounds good! : ) What ten vegetables do you recommend? Carrots? Cabbage? ????

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger MeiyunnChung said…

    well, you are really good. There are really carrots and cabbages in my mother's dish. :)

    It seems that you want me to learn more words in English. Ha ha ha~~ Because some of those vegetables' name I do not know in English. ha ha ha~~

    Carrots, cabbages, mashrooms, sweet ginger, sweet soybean sauce pickled cucumbers, soybean sprouts, to-fu, celery, all sliced. You can add what you like. Any way, 10 kinds of vegetables. :)

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We remembered your post and will try this dish this year!

    Cheers,
    Rob

     

Post a Comment

<< Home